Authoring Guidelines and Best Practices
The following guidelines have been written to support web development and
authoring practices around campus.
See also: General Web Resources
- restricted-access document. You may be challenged for username/password
- Go-Words Service
- The Go-words service is intended to provide a short-cut for a longer web address. A Go-word is intended to assist users to remember the URL so they can type it into their web browser easily and quickly.
- UOW Web Colour Palette
- Sample renderings, colour code and description of colours defined in the current Waikato css stylesheet.
- Search Engines and Meta Data
- An introduction to Meta Data use, how search engines index and rank pages, and how the University of Waikato search engine crawls our site.
See also: Search Engine Stop-Words and Search-Engine Exclusion
- Facebook Page Tabs
- How to create Facebook page tabs which allow custom content to be displayed inside Facebook pages.
- Campus-Only Web Restrictions
- An outline of the options available for securing web content for campus-only or staff-only access.
- Text-Only & Printable Page Versioning
- A Discussion of the implementation of print and text only versions of web pages within the templates.
- Requests for Permission to Link to UOW
- Discussion about requests we get from people seeking permission to link to our site.
- Connecting to the Web servers
- From a Mac Using Mac OS X and From a Linux client using smbmount.
- Using Catalogue of Papers include files
- How to use the Catalogue of Papers include files to display paper details.
- Using the UOW Form-Handler
- The UOW Form handler (formcrunch) is used to collate information submitted through an HTML form and email the results for further processing.
- Images removed from the website
- An index of images that can no longer be used on the University of Waikato website. The people in the pictures have requested that their image not be used.
- PHP Best Practices
- A best practice guide intended for experienced web developers, to help them establish good php programming techniques.
- Changes for PHP Developers
- An overview of the changes to the PHP development environment.