We put technology to good use, automating repetitive tasks or providing online services to support people in their work. A number of useful utilities and various solution demonstrations are explained below. If you have an idea that could be prototyped or have a task that could be automated - let us know.
- 404 Error Reports
- This report lists any broken links found within Web sites that point to non-existent pages on the site or on other known Waikato websites. These reports are generated daily using the results of the search engine crawl of the Waikato Web site.
- A local installation of the W3C Validator for checking that Web pages are valid HTML. The 'Validate' hyperlink in the footer of UoW templated pages on the ITS Test Server link to this service.
- An additional component of the W3C Validator which checks links in a specified page. It will advise of links to redirected pages which should be updated but will only work on non-secured pages. The 'Checklink' hyperlink in the footer of UoW templated pages on the ITS Test Server link to this service.
- MetaGeta: Single File
- This script will fetch a page based on the entered URL, parsing it for any META data tags.
- MetaGeta: Site-wide
- This is an alternative command-line version of the MetaGeta script to report on the metadata of a whole Web site (see: Sample Report). It is run by the Webmaster, upon request.
- Spell Checker
- An online CGI spell checker which is a wrapper around a local command-line install of ASpell which has a language specific dictionary and a custom one we can add to over time.
- Text Scrubber
- Converts invalid MS codepage characters (such as em/endash and smart-quotes) into their plain-text equivalents and echoed back in the form.
- Queries a log of keywords people have searched for against various database backed applications and search facilities and displays popular, successful and/or unsuccessful searches over time (Staff and Students access only)
- A useful client side checker tool to check HTML source and detect violations of code standards.